Nelson Piquet Jr dominated proceedings in the Red Bull Global Rallycross championship in Washington DC this weekend, taking two heat wins and a semi-final win on his way to overall victory, the Brazilian’s first finals triumph of his GRC career. It was also the first GRC victory for his team, SH Racing.
Piquet, who is on double duties as he competes in both Red Bull GRC and the FIA Formula E Championship, has scored six finals podiums in his year and a half GRC career. Although he has notched up 12 heat and semi-final wins during that time, Washington marked the first time he has lifted the winners trophy in the finals race.
The result marks a further career highlight for Piquet who now lays claim to being the first Brazilian in history to win a race in the Red Bull Global Rallycross Championship, the NASCAR Nationwide Series, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, the GP2 Series and A1GP, as well as being the inaugural world champion of the FIA Formula E Championship.
It has been a hectic week for Piquet, who spent Monday and Tuesday at Donington in the UK on official testing duties for his NEXTEV TCR Formula E team. He then hot-footed it to the West Coast of the US to make his debut in an IndyCar, testing for Penske at Sonoma on Thursday. He then travelled overnight to the East Coast to begin practice and heat races in the GRC Championship in Washington on Friday, before today’s final. He will now travel back to the UK ahead of further official Formula E testing on Monday and Tuesday.
With five rounds to go in GRC, the championship is currently led by Ken Block on 302 points, followed by Eriksson on 261 points and Piquet just behind in third with 234 points.
Nelson Piquet Jr: “It’s a very special day for me. There are less than two months since I won a world title in London and now I’m delighted to get on top of the podium in Washington. I thank the whole team for the car they gave me here. I’m very honored to win an event against so many strong and experienced rallycross competitors. It’s been a really long and hard week but a driver’s place is on the track and there’s no better reward than a victory.”
Full Supercar results from Red Bull Global Rallycross Washington DC presented by Volkswagen are as follows:
1. Nelson Piquet Jr., #07 SH Racing Rallycross Ford Fiesta ST
2. Patrik Sandell, #18 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST
3. Ken Block, #43 Hoonigan Racing Division Ford Fiesta ST
4. Steve Arpin, #00 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
5. Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
6. Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
7. Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
8. Austin Dyne, #14 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST
9. Jeff Ward, #360 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
10. Joni Wiman, #31 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
11. Logan Gomez, #77 Royal Purple Racing Ford Fiesta
12. Pat Moro, #59 PMR Motorsports Chevrolet Sonic