Pointon Leads SuperCup Standings After Donington Weekend


Callum Pointon ends the Donington Park round of the Michelin Ginetta GT4 SuperCup as the points leader after his maiden win and another podium position in the championship. In the AM class meanwhile, Colin White regains the championship advantage after another strong weekend.


Qualifying was a mixed affair, with a red flag at the halfway point interrupting proceedings. Poleman George Gamble set his hot lap early on, posting a 1:09.116s time on lap six, which none of the other drivers managed to top. Green, in second, managed to close the gap towards the end of the session but remained on the front row nevertheless.

Boardley and Pointon claimed the second row of the grid, whilst new boys Roche and Ladell ended the session fifth and sixth. In the AM class, Jac Constable took pole position following an incredibly strong run. Grahame Tilley finished the session second, with Ian Robinson, Colin White and Alex Taylor completing the top five in that order.

Race one saw a textbook start for Boardley who snatched the race lead as the pack piled into Redgate for the first time. Green, having started second, followed the leader through nudging Gamble down the order into third. As the trio fought for the lead, Green and Gamble made contact and ended up running through the gravel at Redgate. Green recovered – albeit to the back of the pack – but Gamble’s race was brought to an early end. After a brief safety car period, racing recommenced on lap seven and Green really got the hammer down. Carving his way through the AM class field, he managed to pick off Perez to pick up a handful of crucial PRO class points.

Up front, Pointon challenged Boardley at every opportunity, allowing Roche to chase down the leaders on his SuperCup debut. Boardley defended hard. Too hard in the eyes of the stewards, as he was hit with a five second time penalty after crossing the line, dropping him to fifth and handing the win to Pointon, who took the championship lead as a result.

The penalty also saw Roche move into second, earning the Laser Tools Racing driver a podium on his G55 debut. Continuing the momentum he started in the final outing at Brands Hatch a fortnight ago, Ladell was back on the podium after finishing third, just a fraction up the road from a chasing Jones.

In the AM class, White swept into the lead on the start after the demise of Tilley and Constable. The former made contact with the barrier, whilst the latter limped into the pit lane with a damaged front wheel. Once at the head of the pack White stretched his legs, but the fight over second raged between four drivers, in what brought about an epic close to the race. Taylor managed to finish second after fending off Kirby, who finished third but lost his door in the process. Wilmot and Robinson rounded out the top five after a fantastic bit of racing.

In race two Pointon enjoyed a blistering start to leave Roche in his wake as he hammered down to Redgate for the first time. Great starts too were enjoyed by Jones and Boardley who leapfrogged Ladell to move into third and fourth respectively.

In the AM class, it was similar excitement as Kirby, Robinson and Constable each picked up a pair of places off the line. All their hard work was undone however, as the safety car was scrambled after Minshaw came to a stop out on the track.

Racing recommenced on lap three, and soon Pointon had earned himself a one second advantage at the front of the field. However, a mistake coming out of the chicane for the final time allowed Roche to claim the lead heading into Redgate where he raimined until the flag.

A spin for Pointon as he pushed to reclaim the place sent him tumbling down the order, promoting Jones and Green  into the final podium positions. Behind, Gamble was making expert progress up the order from last in class. Having recovered to fifth, he was handed a five second pentalty for track limits, dropping him to seventh on corrected times.

In the AM class, it was another win for Colin White, who found himself racing with plenty of the PRO drivers on the way to victory. Constable,was right behind him, having kept Perez, Pointon, Higgings and Boardley at bay throughout the closing laps.

The final race of the weeked saw Somerfield start from pole position, but it was Hibbert who took the lead after dispatching Jones and Somerfield in as many laps. Unfortunately, Hibbert soon fell into the clutches of Pointon, and a mistake at the Old Hairpin let the HHC car through.

A blistering start from Green saw him pass Jones to move to fourth on the start, and from there he only continued to power forwards. Proving himself as a master in the wet, the young driver was into the lead by lap eight where he controlled proceedings to the flag.

As Hibbert fell down the order, Jones and Roche moved into third and fourth. Despite a fantastic battle over the final podium position, it was Jones who prevailed following an excellent drag race to the line. Kudos too to Boardley, who  swept his way through the field to finish an eventual fifth.

In the AM class, White enjoyed an early lead over Constable and Taylor but the Xentek Motorsport driver makingde a move on lap six, with Constable taking over the lead. Things then got even more exciting as a five car train for second in class started to emerge and White was forced to defend from Robinson, Minshaw, Brookes and Tilley.

With Contable down the road, White lost out to Robinson and was forced to settle for third. A spin for Minshaw and Taylor dropped them to sixth and seventh respecitvely with Brookes and Tilley rounding out the top six.

The result means Pointon leaves Donington Park in the lead of the SuperCup standings, with a short break before the next meeting at Oulton Park on 20/21 May.