Tim Helming, Director, Product Management at DomainTools researched the Url and explained:
“This Domain [http://adidas.com/shoes/] was registered on 31st January 2018 under a private registration. It shares an IP with around 244 other domains. One interesting thing is that it has an Alexa ranking of around 70K – that’s pretty good for a scam domain. This scam has obviously caught a lot of people’s eye – it’s getting a ton of traffic.
“Many illegitimate sites look virtually identical to the real thing. This is where looking closely at the URL can make a real difference for staying safe online. Online shoppers should heed these tactics to safely navigate links that are shared via email and social media:
- Be paranoid. Assume links are dangerous until decided otherwise.
- Navigate directly to a company’s website instead of clicking on links in emails or social media.
- Closely examine URLs and email senders for typos, Examples could include:
- extra added letters in the domain, such as Yahooo[.]com
- ‘rn’ disguised as an ‘m’, such as modem.co.uk versus modern.co.uk
- 1’s disguised as l’s, such as wa1mart.com
- added affixes, such as the “com-” in a domain like starbucks.com-latte[.]us
- Realise that if something is too good to be true, it likely is.”